By now, you’ve got your mandala base finished and you are ready to start on the mesh rounds to create the body of your bag. Not there yet? No worries, catch up with Part 1, and be sure to join the Marigold Market Bag CAL Facebook group to ask and answer questions and to show off your work. AND if you are sharing on social media, be sure to use #MarigoldMarketBag and / or #LaBelleVieForMe to show off your work!
Crochet-A-Long Part 2: Mesh Body
Stitches & Abbreviations (US Terms)
- Magic Circle / Adjustable Ring
- Chain (ch)
- Chain Space (ch sp)
- Skip (sk)
- Slip Stitch (sl st)
- Single Crochet (sc)
- Single Crochet 2 Together (sc2tog)
- Half Double Crochet (hdc)
- Double Crochet (dc)
- Double Crochet 3 Together (dc3tog)
- Treble Crochet (tr)
- 3 Double Crochet Cluster (3dcCl)
Finished Mandala (up to round 13): 9” / 23 cm diameter
Bag Height (round 14 – 37): 15.25” / 38.75 cm
6 sc x 6 rows = 1.375” / 3.5 cm square
- Catch up on Part 1: Mandala Base here.
- This pattern is written in US Standard terms.
- Chain stitches at beginning of rounds do not count as a stitch unless otherwise noted.
- Photo tutorials for the Double Crochet 3 Together (dc3tog) and the 3 Double Crochet Cluster (3dcCl) can be found in Materials & Requirements.
- This pattern is worked in joined rounds, unless otherwise noted in the pattern.
- Slip stitches used to close rounds are NOT counted in the stitch count for that round.
- Round 2 is worked using the chains from your cluster stitch as stitches themselves, so that the pattern can increase accordingly in the round.
- Some rounds will end with a double crochet or treble crochet into the beginning stitch of that round instead of finishing a space using all chains. This is so that the start of the next round begins in the center of that chain set.
- I recommend a stitch marker for your repeating mesh rounds, as it is difficult to see where you started when you work back around.
Marigold Market Bag Part 2: Mesh Body
*******Don’t want to wait for each installment? You can purchase a printable version of this pattern, complete with photo tutorials, round by round pictures, and, available only with your PDF purchase, a stitch chart for the mandala! Find the pattern in both my Etsy and Ravelry shops.*******
R14: Sl st to the center of the ch-2 sp (see NOTE following these round instructions), ch 1, * sc into ch-2 sp, ch 6, repeat from * 22 more times, sc into ch-2 sp, ch 3, tr into the top of the sc at the beginning of the round to close. (24 sc, 24 ch-6s)
NOTE: The slip stitches at the beginning of this round do not count as stitches. You may need 2 or 3 slip stitches to arrive at the center of the ch-2 space.
NOTE: The treble crochet at the end of Round 14 is going to substitute for the last three chains of this last “ch-6 space” so that you will start the Round 15 in the center of the space.
R15: Insert stitch marker at beginning of this round, * Ch 6, sc into the middle of the ch-6 sp, repeat from * 22 more times, ch 3, tr into the top of the tr from the previous round to close. (23 sc, 24 ch-6s)
NOTE: The treble crochet at the end of Round 15 is going to substitute for the last three chains of this last “ch-6 space” so that you will start the Round 16 in the center of the space.
NOTE: I used only 23 single crochets instead of 24 here because of the stretch in the top of the treble stitches would have thrown the center off when I started the next round. If you prefer, you may start this round with a ch 1 and single crochet, ch 6, sc in middle of ch-6 sp, and repeat 22 times, ch 3, tr into the top of the sc from the beginning of the round to close. (24 sc, 24 ch-6s)
R16-35: Repeat R15. (23 sc, 24 ch-6s)
R36: Ch 1, 3 sc into current ch-6 sp (see NOTE following these round instructions), sc into the top of the tr from R34, * 6 sc into ch-6 sp, sc into next, repeat from * 23 more times, 3 sc into last ch-6 sp, sl st to the first sc of this round to close. (168 sc)
NOTE: The first 3 single crochets of this round are going to be worked around the treble crochet used to close the previous round.
R37: Ch 2, dc in next 2 sts, * dc3tog, dc in next 4 sts, repeat from * 22 more times, dc3tog, dc last 2 sts, sl st to first dc of the round to close. (92 dc, 24 dc3tog)
End of Part 2!
You’re in the home stretch now! Just need to finish with straps and then you’re all set! Make sure you’ve subscribed so you don’t miss the last post Marigold Market Bag CAL Part 3 on June 26th. There will be a long / cross body option and a short / shoulder option for your straps. Update: Part 3 is live!
If you have any problems with the pattern, make sure you’ve joined the Facebook Marigold Market Bag CAL group! Not on Facebook? That’s okay too! If you have any questions, please comment below or contact me!
All rights reserved. This design, pattern, and images are the property of Kristen Caldwell via La Belle Vie by Kristen and HooksBooksAndWanderlust.com. This pattern is for personal use. Items made using this pattern can be sold with credit given to La Belle Vie by Kristen and Hooks Books and Wanderlust. In accordance with U.S. copyright laws, you may not alter, sell, or distribute this pattern in whole or in part, in any way without express written permission from Kristen Caldwell.
Want to receive monthly recaps of what’s been happening on the blog, special sales and promotions, and even exclusive coupon codes to use in my shop? Sign up for my newsletter for all that and more! I promise not to spam you and you can opt out at any time!